‘How to’ workshops
Throughout human history, tool use has spread through sharing. What good is a tool if it is not shared? We have a powerful communication tool that we have been using with great SUCCESS for over 15 years and now we want to share it with YOU!
Learn how to engage people in a MEANINGFUL and VISUAL way!
Learn how to JAZZ up your presentations, flip charts, meetings and notes. Steer away from the ‘same-old, same-old’ and think outside the box!
- Social Workers
- Human Resource Practitioners
- Change Agents
- Community Workers
- Event Planners
- Communications Officers
- Fundraisers/ Idea Salespeople
People naturally respond to visual imagery. Visual Language helps people to remember information better, to grasp concepts faster, to engage in meaningful dialogue and to reach consensus of action faster.
Having Visual Language skills in your communications toolbox will increase your ability to successfully engage, communicate and collaborate with people.
Visual Language skills will strengthen your communication tool kit in exciting ways at work and at home! The ability to communicate clearly and effectively is a strong indicator for success in life! Join the Visual Revolution !
They focused on the effectiveness of visual language and found that:
- in a group shown a visual language presentation, 64% made a decision immediately after the presentation. The control group lagged behind.
- presenters who used visual language in their presentations were perceived as being more effective than those not using visuals. Comments like: more concise, more interesting, better prepared, more professional, more credible were recorded.
- meetings using visual language to enhance presentations were 24% shorter. •groups using Visual Language reached consensus 79% of the time compared to the control groups at 50%.
- in purely verbal presentations the presenters convinced 50% of their audience. Presenters using visual language to enhance their verbal presentations convinced 67% of their audience.
In this jam-packed two day workshop, you will learn all the basic building blocks of Visual Language that you will need to start exploring this exciting communication tool.
- The visual lanuage alphabet and basic iconography,
- Colour, shadows and texture,
- Bullets, arrows, banners and boxes,
- Text, fonts and titles,
- Desk top, flip chart and big wall practice!
- Help you think about layout, purpose, impact and colour use
- Introduce you to graphic recording and provide you with useful links and resources.
- How to select and use - tricks and tips
- Where to get resources
- Tips on working BIG
- Visual Agendas, Templates, Road Maps, Overviews.
- Stages; Focusing, Purpose, Chunking, Lay-out and Design.
- Discussion with you on how you might use this technology in your life.
Hands-on and Experiential Learning, appealing to visual, auditory and kinesthetic learning styles, the Drawn 2 Success workshop is aimed at all your senses. You will discover a lot about your inner artistic abilities (we ALL have them, you just have to set them free!) through hands-on practice activities, small group work and one-on-one mentorship from experienced Visual Language professionals.
RESPECT: We completely understand and respect that it is intimidating for many people to draw, let alone draw in front of other people. Feelings like, “I can’t draw” or “my drawings are not good enough” can be overwhelming, but don’t let them stop you! YOU CAN DO THIS! WE PROMISE! We will create a safe, comfortable and encouraging environment in which to learn, experiment and have fun!
COMMUNICATION: We will share with you about our own experiences with Visual Language and how it ties in with our company’s core philosophy so that you can understand how and why we came to embrace Visual Language in our lives. There will be many opportunities throughout the two days for the group to share and communicate their experiences, ideas, reflections and insights so that we end up creating a richness of shared intelligence about Visual Language.
PARTICIPATION: By participating together, we strengthen our learning, we deepen our insights, we build our courage to meet challenges head on and we feel energized by each other. In the Drawn 2 Success workshop, you will be engaged in Visual Language through individual, small group and large group exercises that are fun, interactive and authentic! You will be actively using Visual Language throughput the workshop. Two full days of intense learning and hands-on application!
CREATIVITY: In order to unleash your creative potential, you first must distance yourself from the side of your brain you are used to using. Most of us live primarily in our ‘left brain’- firmly rooted in logic, language, text and rules. The ‘right side’ of our brains (the artistic, emotional and creative side), is sadly underutilized in many situations where it could actually be quite helpful! The transition to right-brain thinking can be intimidating at first, but if you give yourself permission to jump in, you’ll. discover that there is no real limit to your creative potential!
- Food and beverages – your fee includes delicious lunches both days, hot and cold beverages and snacks.
- Supplies – each participant will receive, to take home:
- a personal size sketchbook,
- a pack of markers,
- an iconography practice guide booklet and
- links to resources and information
Other paper and art supplies for you to use and experience in our workshop activities will be provided by
the Positive Culture Company.
- Content - Two days of dedicated, exciting instruction/ mentorship in a small classroom environment. You will benefit from the low student-teacher ratio with two experienced Visual Language professionals.
- Follow-up - Two follow-up teleconference coaching calls, up to 45 minutes each within three months of the course date (January 2014) (value $300.00). Use them to talk about how you are applying Visual Language in your practice and or your life, or added brain power to a future project, or for some last minute energy before you introduce Visual Langauge into your big presentation.
9:00 am to 4:00 pm
As a facilitation company, Positive Culture has, for over 15 years, been “Drawing” many groups, organizations, boards and municipal governments to “Success” using innovative facilitation techniques and Visual Language skills, guided by a core philosophy: the Four Parts of a Positive Company.
We are a business based out of Medicine Hat, AB.
Robert Benn - President, Graphic Facilitator, and Professional Artist (BFA 1980 Calgary) with community development experience.
Laurie Benn - Lead Facilitator and Professional Educator (B Ed 1979 Calgary) with a talent for educational design.
For more info visit www.positiveculture.ca/About-Us.html
I was excited by: "the handbook, the wonderful supplies, practice and that I can do this!" Veronica Vinge, Consultant
"Hands on was GREAT!" Linda Prinz, Lethbridge Housing
I was excited by: "Learning new skills from Excellent Practitioners" David Green, FCSS
"Excellent! Innovative, fun and valuable tools I can put into my creative toolbox". Jeff Morris, Supervisor
"Great workshop! Encourages you to work and play outside your comfort zone, but you still feel safe and willing to try new things. It was a great day." Janet Vas, Lead, Attraction Strategies, Alberta Health Services
I was excited by: "learning how to incorporate visual icons with text to create messages" Natalie Falk, Business Development Officer
"Excellent! More than I expected. Very usable tool in planning and presenting." Gordon Bates, Manager, Provincial Air Ambulance
Excellent! Smashing! Breanne Yaremko, HR Advisor
"Very enjoyable, fast paced, well-coordinated. Pleasant and very helpful. Well done!" Doug Burke, Air Ambulance Supervisor
"Excellent! Acquired new skills for everyday use." Dave Warhaft, Operations Supervisor
Return to Home Page